The activities in this collection of photocopiable work sheets are designed to provide stimulating opportunities for students of all ability levels to make creative responses to their reading. The tasks are applicable to most novels, enabling teachers to exercise flexibility in the classroom by allowing students to study self-selected reading materials.
The units may be completed in any order, provided that sufficient reading progress has been made through the novel by students attempting the work. The contents pages indicate which units are suitable for stages of reading. Teachers can also use the editable electronic versions of each unit to tailor the material to any novel they choose.
• Mapping the setting
• Illustrating the story
• Conflict and alliances
• Transforming characters
• Similes and metaphors
• Plot structure
• Identifying themes
• Symbolic objects
• The world of the author
• Complicating the plot
• Plot devices
• Creating a film version of the novel
• Building a character
• Responding analytically
• Colour and mood
• Literature and censorship.
About this series:
Each book in the Instant Lessons series is a collection of fresh and versatile work sheet activities which may be photocopied for student use. They are unique in providing the highest learning outcomes with instant usability.
Use them to supplement your existing resources, to extend student capabilities, for revision purposes, or for class work when a regular teacher is absent.
• Supplementary classroom lessons
• Homework activities
• Reinforcement of learning
• Extension work for advanced students
• Preparation for assessment
• Exam revision
• Creative teaching ideas
• Developing greater student interest and understanding
• A fresh approach to a topic
• Away to target student weaknesses
• Suitable for individual or group work
• A variety of activities for home study