Achieve! Design and Materials Technology - Wood, metals and plastics provides a range of practical tasks that explore key concepts to do with the concepts of these materials. The focus is on understanding the unique qualities of these materials and how they can be manipulated to create products.
- Types of timber and timber sources
- Properties of timber
- Common metals and plastics and their qualities
- Designing products and specifications
- Types of structures
- Common mechanisms
- Gears, levers and cams
- Tools and equipment
- Joining and finishing materials
- Production methods
- Computer-aided design and manufacture
- Evaluating products
About this series:
While very suitable for the regular classroom, each of the Achieve! series of Design and Materials Technology titles have been written at a literacy level that makes the pages appropriate for secondary students who, because of poor literacy skills, struggle to comprehend regular classroom materials.
Each title in this series comes with a CD that contains all the pages that are featured in the book, as well as a file of illustrations that can be used for other work sheets. These files can be easily edited to suit the needs of students and the curriculum requirements of your State.
- Mature-look page layout and illustrations
- Topics that will interest teenagers
- An emphasis on literacy skills
- Clear learning objectives
- Starter activities, background topic information and ideas for summarising a lesson