Reading Assessment Tasks - performance-based tools for busy teachers.
The Reading Assessment Task series contains Quick Check Activities that help you to assess students':
- Concepts of print
- Phonemic awareness
- Phonics and word recognition
- Vocabulary and concept development
This book contains 17 performance-based assessment tasks that are ready-made, easy to use and provide a quick way to monitor students’ skill acquisition.
The books contain colourful stories, cards and word mats that can be laminated and used over many years, saving many hours of preparation time and the need to purchase books that are kept aside purely for assessment purposes.
Each assessment task includes scripted teacher instructions as well as class checklists. The clear, step-by-step, scripted instructions mean that a teacher-aide or parent volunteer can administer the assessments, freeing the teacher to instruct other students.
Quick Check Activities - Book 1 Ages 5 — 6
Unit 1. Concepts of print/print awareness
- Distinguishes letters from words
- Demonstrates alphabet recognition
- Identifies front and back cover, and title page
- Follows words from left to right, top to bottom and demonstrates word-by-word matching
- Understands that printed materials provide information
Unit 2. Phonemic awareness
- Identifies beginning sounds in an alliterative sentence
- Identifies and produces rhyming words
- Identifies beginning consonant sounds
- Identifies medial sounds
- Counts syllables in words
Unit 3. Phonics and word recognition
- Identifies consonant names and sounds
- Matches short vowel sound to the letter
- Matches beginning sound to the correct letter
- Reads high-frequency and CVC words
Unit 4. Vocabulary and concept development
- Understands story structure
- Sorts items into categories