Maths in Fashion is a collection of photocopiable worksheets which feature the application of mathematical knowledge and techniques to various areas of fashion, textiles and leather. While the content is not necessarily in teaching order, the later worksheets can provide a sequential understanding of the fashion design business.
Who would have thought that the catwalk could be the source of so many calculations? Students will crunch the numbers for the fashion industry, considering cost and amount of materials, production issues, labour, retail costs and more. With strong links to commerce and textiles, the activities in this book will be an enlightening experience for students who think they don't need maths!
This book also includes an answers section to make marking and assessment easy.
- Funny fashion facts - quick questions to test understanding of the four basic operations
- Maths you need in the industry - discounts, percentages, profit and loss
- Stepping into the fashion industry - reading tables, measurement, fixed and variable expenses
- Traditional design - Maori diagonals, Hmong spirals, Mayan spiny, Navajo eye dazzlers
- What is my size? - sizes, imperial and metric measurements
- Getting the colour right - Pantone colour; estimation
- Importing and exporting - calculating taxes and duty
- Design and sculpture - body measurements, ease and actual garment measurements
About this series:
Each book in the Instant Lessons series is a collection of fresh and versatile work sheet activities which may be photocopied for student use. They are unique in providing the highest learning outcomes with instant usability.
Use them to supplement your existing resources, to extend student capabilities for revision purposes, or for class work when the regular teacher is absent.
Supplementary classroom lessons
Reinforcement of learning
Extension work for advanced students
Preparation for assessment
Creative teaching ideas
Developing greater student interest and understanding
A fresh approach to a topic or lesson
A way of targeting student weaknesses
Suitable for individual or group work
A variety of activities for home study