The Harmony and Understanding: Fantastic Foods Teaching Guide provides:
- A synopsis of the text
- Specific activities for integrating values education
- Comprehensive guided reading notes for the busy classroom teacher
- Subject specific vocabulary found in each text
- Links for integrating other learning areas
- Student research activities
- Photocopy work sheets
- Assessment ideas
This Teaching Guide suggests activities that allow teachers to enhance their students' capacities of thinking and feeling in regards to values while providing students with time to reflect on and respond to the values held by various groups in our multicultural society. Empathy is encouraged through drama, art and music activities, as well as personal investigations. Values that we accept intellectually come from basic beliefs that inhabit our reality.
Harmony and Understanding provides experiences that are key to students committing to worthy values by allowing them to engage with, interact with and reflect on a broad range of multicultural views.