The topics covered in Legends of Science Book 4 include the life and work of renowned scientists - from Edwin Hubble to Albert Einstein. The people featured range from the earliest scientific thinkers to current researchers.
Related extension pages contain further activities in the areas where our scientific legends excelled. The questions range from concrete recall, to comprehension, extraction, analysis and synthesis. These will extend the learning capabilities of all students.
Opportunities are provided for students to give their own opinions on scientific issues, and will encourage interest in the more formal activities.
- Rachel Carson — DDT
- Alec Jeffreys — DNA fingerprinting
- Karl Janksy — Radio telescope
- Russell Ohl — Solar cells
- Alexander Parkes — Plastics
- Albert Einstein — E=mc2
- Jean Mcnamara — Polio
- Philo Farnsworth — Television
- Wilem Kolff — Kidney dialysis machine
- Edwin Hubble — Hubble telescope
- Percy Spencer — Microwave oven
- James Watson — DNA
- Henrietta Leavitt — Stars and distances in space
- Bernard Gordon — Doppler radar and the CAT scanner
- Gertrude Elion — Cancer, drugs and organ transplants
- Willard Libby — Carbon-14 and age determination
- Frank Macfarlane Burnet — Influenza, antibodies and immunity
- Helen Turner — Genetics and merino sheep
- Graeme Clark — Bionic ear
- Ian Franzer — Cervical cancer and vaccines
- Selected answers
This checklist highlights the major uses and benefits of the books:
Supplementary classroom lessons
Reinforcement of learning
Extension work for advanced students
Preparation for assessment
Creative teaching ideas
Developing greater student interest and understanding
A fresh approach to a topic or lesson
A way of targeting student weaknesses
Suitable for individual or group work
A variety of activities for home study
Terms and Conditions:
- Please choose carefully as this product cannot be refunded once PDF has been downloaded.
- This downloadable PDF does not contain the CD Rom from the hard copy version
- Credit card orders only; this product cannot be purchased on 30 Day Preview or School Invoice.
View the CAL+ Terms and Conditions for use of downloadable PDFs by Blake Education