The topics covered in Legends of Science Book 3 include the life and work of renowned scientists - from Robert Goddard to William Farrer. The people featured range from the earliest scientific thinkers to current researchers.
Related extension pages contain further activities in the areas where our scientific legends excelled. The questions range from concrete recall, to comprehension, extraction, analysis and synthesis. These will extend the learning capabilities of all students.
Opportunities are provided for students to give their own opinions on scientific issues, and will encourage interest in the more formal activities.
- Robert Goddard — Rockets
- Patricia Vickers-Rich — Fossils, dinosaurs and evolution
- Alan Turin — Computers
- Fiona Wood — Spray-on skin for burns
- Robert Jarvik — Artificial heart
- Martin Cooper — Mobile phones
- Fiona Stanley — Pregnancy, folic acid and spina bifida
- John Tyndall — Fibre optics
- Wallace Carothers — Nylon
- Howard Florey — Penicillin
- Gordon Gould — Lasers
- Fred and Gabi Hollows — Eyes, trachoma and blindness
- Gustav Nossal — Disease and vaccines
- Raymond Damadian — Magnetic Resonance Imaging
- Evelyn Billings — Contraceptives
- Robert Oppenheimer — Atomic bomb
- Nikolaus Otto — Four-stroke internal combustion engine
- Marie Curie — Radium
- Barry Marshall — Digestive system, ulcers and microbes
- William Farrer — Wheat and genetics
- Selected answers
This checklist highlights the major uses and benefits of the books:
Supplementary classroom lessons
Reinforcement of learning
Extension work for advanced students
Preparation for assessment
Creative teaching ideas
Developing greater student interest and understanding
A fresh approach to a topic or lesson
A way of targeting student weaknesses
Suitable for individual or group work
Terms and Conditions:- Please choose carefully as this product cannot be refunded once PDF has been downloaded.
- This downloadable PDF does not contain the CD Rom from the hard copy version
- Credit card orders only; this product cannot be purchased on 30 Day Preview or School Invoice.
View the CAL+ Terms and Conditions for use of downloadable PDFs by Blake Education